This smoothie is not only delicious, it’s also perfectly designed to include five key ingredients that work together in synergy to pull heavy metals like mercury, lead, aluminum, nickel, copper, and cadmium out of your organs where they accumulate. Toxic heavy metals are virtually everywhere, and are present in all kinds of things that we come in contact with every day, such as aluminum cans and aluminum foil, batteries, metal cookware, old paint, and even the foods we eat. For instance, pesticides and herbicides (which are hard to completely avoid even on a strict organic diet), are a common source of toxic heavy metals. As a result, most of us are carrying around heavy metals that have been with us for almost our whole lives and which have burrowed deep inside our tissues. We are also born into this world with heavy metals already inside our livers. Unfortunately, it is these “old” metals, the ones that have been lurking in our system for prolonged periods of time, that pose the greatest threat. For example, over time toxic heavy metals can oxidize, causing damage to surrounding tissue and promoting inflammation. They literally poison our bodies, and can inflict damage on virtually every system and organ, including our brain, liver, digestive system, and other parts of our nervous system. Toxic heavy metals put an immense burden on our immune system, leaving us vulnerable to a variety of illnesses.
Heavy metals can serve as a feeding ground for bacteria like Streptococcus A or B, E. coli, C. difficile, H. pylori, and yeast cells. This can create an overgrowth of multiple bacteria in our gut, resulting in a condition known as SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), which is characterized by bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation (or both), and can lead to nutrient deficiencies. Additionally, when viruses such as Epstein-Barr and shingles feed off toxic heavy metals, this can produce symptoms such as tingling, numbness, fatigue, anxiety, heart palpitations, ringing in the ears, dizziness, vertigo, eczema, rosacea and psoriasis, as well as neck pain, knee pain, foot pain, pain in the back of the head, and a variety of other aches and pains that are often attributed to other causes.
It’s virtually impossible not to take in a certain amount of these toxic heavy metals in our modern era, so it’s vitally important to our health that we get them out before they can wreak further havoc on our health. Thankfully, it’s relatively simple to remove them from our organs if we consume the right foods to do so. Adding the following all-star team of foods to your diet and being diligent in your efforts to consume them every day will go a long way toward ridding your body of heavy metals.
SPIRULINA – This edible blue-green algae draws out heavy metals from your brain, central nervous system, and liver, and soaks up heavy metals extracted by barley grass juice extract powder. Take 2 teaspoons mixed in water, coconut water, juice or the smoothie recipe below daily. Our online store sells both powder and tablets. You can but them here – POWDER & TABLETS
BARLEY GRASS JUICE POWDER prepares the metals for complete absorption by the spirulina. This nutritive powder has the ability to draw heavy metals out of your spleen, intestinal tract, pancreas, thyroid, and reproductive system. Drink 1-2 teaspoons mixed in water, coconut water, juice or the smoothie recipe below daily. You can buy barley grass juice powder
CILANTRO goes deep into hard-to-reach places, extracting metals from yesteryear (so it’s great for that mercury inheritance you’re carrying around!). Blend one cup in a smoothie (like the one below), juice, or add to salad or guacamole. Buy organic freeze-dried cilantro powder HERE.
WILD BLUEBERRIES draw heavy metals out of your brain tissue, healing and repairing any gaps created by oxidation when the heavy metals are removed. It is important to use wild blueberries, as they possess unique phytonutrients with special detoxifying capabilities. The potent antioxidants in wild blueberries help reverse any oxidative damage left behind by the heavy metal removal. This is especially important for your brain tissue – in fact, wild blueberries are the most powerful food for halting or in some cases reversing Alzheimer’s and dementia. Eat at least one cup daily. You can also use wild blueberry powder if you can’t access freeze-dried wild blueberry powder or fresh or frozen blueberries. Note: while cultivated blueberries are nutritious, they lack the metal-drawing ability of the wild blueberries. You can buy organic freeze-dried wild blueberry powder HERE.
DULSE In addition to mercury, this edible seaweed binds to lead, aluminum, copper, cadmium, and nickel. Dulse goes into deep, hidden places of the digestive tract and gut, seeking out mercury, binding to it, and never releasing it until it leaves the body. Eat at least two tablespoons of dulse flakes daily. Buy HERE.
As it comes from the ocean, if you are concerned about the dulse itself having mercury, be aware that it will not release any mercury it might possess into the body. It holds on to the mercury as it works its way through, and even grabs onto other metals along the way and drives them out as well. Dulse is a critical part of the team because it can hang out near the finish line (i.e., our colon), waiting for the other foods that have been grabbing on to heavy metals along the way and transport these safely out of your body.
Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie Recipe
2 bananas 1 cup 240ml
2 cups wild blueberries or 2-3 tsp. Freeze-dried Wild Blueberry Powder (buy HERE)
1 cup cilantro or 1 tsp. Freeze-dried Cilantro powder. (buy HERE)
1 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed)
1 tsp. Barley Grass Juice powder (buy HERE)
1 tsp. Spirulina Powder (buy HERE)
1 small handful of Organic Atlantic Dulse (buy HERE)
Water to blend (optional)
In a high speed blender, blend all ingredients until smooth. If a thinner consistency is desired, add up to 1 cup of water.
1) Is there a particular time of the day that’s best to drink the Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie?
– Any time of day is fine, but it’s better to have it earlier rather than later in the day so you fit it in. Many people have it as their breakfast.
2) What if I can’t have bananas?
– You can use mangoes or papayas.
3) Will this still be effective if I have regular cultivated blueberries?
– Cultivated blueberries do not have the ability to pull out heavy metals like the wild blueberries do. Wild blueberries are the top superfood on the planet because they have learned to adapt and thrive over thousands of years through droughts, fires, and frosts. In contrast, if you were to stop watering cultivated blueberries they would soon die.
This unique strength, resilience and adaptability set wild blueberries apart from cultivated blueberries and other berries.
4) Will dried wild blueberries have any ability to remove heavy metals?
– Any dried wild blueberries will have some effect but they will range. For the Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie you are better off using a high quality additive-free freeze-dried blueberry powder, frozen or the best option, fresh blueberries.
5) Is it safe to drink if pregnant?
– Yes it is safe to drink while pregnant.
6) Can I use cilantro essential oil instead of fresh cilantro?
– No, it’s important that the cilantro be fresh.
7) Can I use any kind of barley grass?
– Barley grass juice powder is different than barley grass powder. It concentrates the nutritional properties and is the easiest way for the body to digest, assimilate, and utilize its nutrients. In addition, the supplement type and quality you choose matters. Not all supplements offer the same benefits. On this website you will find good quality products.
8) Is it safe to drink while breastfeeding?
– Yes, it is safe for you and the baby.
9) Is this smoothie one or two servings?
– This is one serving.
10) Is this smoothie ok for children?
– Yes it is safe and healthy for children. You can adjust the amounts for your child as you wish.
11) What is a “small handful” of dulse flakes?
– It’s roughly two tablespoons.
12) How often should I drink the Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie?
– Drink the smoothie daily for optimal benefits.
13) Is it ok to substitute orange juice with coconut water?
– Yes, a good quality coconut water is a great substitute. You can also use fresh apple juice.
14) Should the orange juice be fresh or can it be store bought or frozen concentrate?
– It’s best to juice it fresh yourself.
15) What if one of the 5 main ingredients (spirulina, barley grass juice powder, cilantro, wild blueberries, and Atlantic dulse) is not available where I live?
– It’s best to have all 5, but you will still get benefits with 3 or 4 of the main ingredients.
16) Where do I find wild blueberries?
– In Estonia they are widely available in the freezer section of many supermarkets and health food stores. You can also get freeze-dried wild blueberry powder.
17) Can I drink this if I am diabetic?
– Yes. Contrary to popular belief, fruit does not cause diabetes. It is the fat that is blocking the sugar from getting into the cells and creating insulin resistance. Our bodies need healthy carbohydrates to function. Sugar and unhealthy carbohydrates from foods like cakes, cookies, and candy are indeed bad for us and should be avoided. Fresh fruit, sweet potatoes, and potatoes, however, have the critical clean carbohydrates we need.
18) I don’t like the taste of cilantro. What can I do?
– You can try a small amount of cilantro in the smoothie to start. The fruit taste will mask much of the flavor of the cilantro.If you still dislike it, you can have the smoothie with just one tiny sprig of cilantro and slowly increase the quantity over time. Below I explain what’s really happening when someone has an aversion to cilantro. When a person perceives an abrupt, harsh flavor from the cilantro herb, it means that she or he has a higher oxidative rate of heavy metals in her or his system. This doesn’t mean the person possesses a higher level of toxic heavy metals. Rather, the heavy metals (in this case, usually a combination of aluminum, nickel, and/or copper, at whatever level) in her or his body are corroding rapidly.
Corrosion means that there’s toxic runoff, which makes its way into a person’s lymphatic system and saliva. The moment cilantro makes contact with the mouth, its phytochemicals start to bind onto any oxidative runoff they encounter—if there’s a lot of this debris in a person’s saliva, it can result in a harsh sensation when eating cilantro.
In other words, if someone dislikes cilantro, there’s a good chance she or he really needs it.
19) Can I drink the Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie if I have mercury amalgams in my teeth?
– Yes, you can. First of all, if it did pull out the mercury it would be fine because the cilantro and other four ingredients in the smoothie would carry it out. But, your saliva doesn’t allow the phytochemical compounds that are in cilantro to bind to the mercury on the surface of the teeth. The saliva in your mouth inactivates the compounds in cilantro until it gets to the stomach where it is reactivated. This smoothie is helpful for anyone who has amalgams.
This summary is based on the information in a blogpost written by Anthony William, the author of Medical Medium Books.
Note: The information on this page is for self-education only and is not a substitute for seeking medical advice.